Monday, January 4, 2010

Make it from Scratch Monday

I'm calling Mondays: Make it from Scratch Monday!

Today, I made from scratch: Fire Starters. We use a wood stove to heat our house in the winter, which I absolutely love.  No worries about what the thermostat is set at b/c it is free heat. You can buy fire starter logs from the store and they are not too terribly expensive. BUT making something from scratch is way better and everything was free.
  This is so cool, and everything I had on hand, and it was really simple to do.  I got the directions from My Byrd House and it worked out fabulously!  The only thing different that I did, was melt my candle in the microwave instead of on the stove. It probably took about 2-3 minutes and the little metal thingy at the bottom of the wick didn't cause a problem.
Here is a picture of what mine looked like, AND the mess I created while pouring hot candle wax :) 

2 comments:

Kim said...

I wish I had a wood burning stove to heat my house. :-(

Unknown said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing!